WorkSafe investigates after chemical poisoning puts Christchurch pest control worker in hospital
June 12, 2019 / Chelsea Boyle
A closed Christchurch worksite is being entered by chemical specialists after a worker was poisoned and hospitalised about two weeks ago. An industrial storage unit that contained pest control agents is at the heart of the work now being undertaken by the Institute of Environmental Science and Research (ESR).
ESR has been asked by WorkSafe New Zealand to determine the concentrations of chemicals on site.
Fire and Emergency New Zealand is assisting near the corner of Wickham St and Francella St. A WorkSafe spokesman said testing today was designed to ensure the site is safe and to find whether the incident breached any health and safety or environmental laws. "Hazardous substances specialists from Fire and Emergency New Zealand are on site to ensure it is safe for ESR technicians to enter to obtain samples," he said. "These samples will provide further information about what is present on site to enable decisions to be made on how the site should be managed ...